Today I would like to share one of my family’s favorites. I don’t make them very often because they are very time consuming, but when I do there are never any leftovers!
Cheeseburger Egg Rolls
- 1 lb ground beef – cooked and drain grease
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 3/4 cup Dill Relish (or chopped dill pickles)
- American cheese – cut each piece diagonally
- Egg Roll Wrappers
- Chopped onion (I don’t like onion so I leave them out)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Garlic powder – maybe 1 tsp (I don’t measure it I just sprinkle it on)
- Enough Vegetable oil for deep frying – I put about an inch in my large cast iron skillet.
- Mix 2 parts mayonnaise to 1 part ketchup and 1 part yellow mustard
- Mix together and adjust to taste
In a large skillet cook ground beef until no longer pink. Season with Salt & Pepper and Garlic powder to taste. Drain the grease.
Shred the lettuce – I just cut the head in half and then make very thin slices to shred. Place shredded lettuce in a large bowl.
Add the hot cooked ground beef right on top of the lettuce. Allow to set for about 5 to 10 minutes to wilt the lettuce. Add the relish and mix thoroughly.
Prepare your egg roll rolling station – I use a dinner plate since things may get wet and slippery. Keep a small bowl of water nearby to wet the wrappers as you are rolling. Wetting the wrappers will help them stick together.
Lay the egg roll wrapper so that it makes a diamond in front of you. Dipping your fingers in the water wet the surface of the wrapper.
Place a cheese triangle near the center but closer to you.
Place about 1 tablespoon of lettuce ground beef mixture in center of wrapper.
Taking the bottom corner of the wrapper, cover the filling and slightly tuck the end under.
Fold up the sides of the wrapper so that it looks like an envelope.
Continue rolling holding egg roll gently but firmly, wet the outside of the wrapper as needed to help it stick together.
Heat the oil to 325 degrees F. Fry egg rolls in batches of 3 or 4 for about 2 minutes per side or until golden brown.
Allow to cool for a few minutes while setting on a paper towel to absorb excess grease. Dip in the sauce and Enjoy!!
Thanks for reading!